Using smart meters
Using smart meters
Time to get smart about your water use
Smart meters provide near real-time water use data to mobile, laptop and/or desktop devices so you can effectively manage your water use, costs and minimise any unnecessary loss.
Armed with information, you can better manage your costs and minimise any water loss. You can be alerted - via email or SMS - to any issues like a potential leak in your property’s plumbing or abnormal or high water use.
With a smart meter you can
- Access your daily water use information online
- Get your water use data on your device of choice
- Receive daily, weekly, or monthly water use report emails
- Be alerted to abnormal or excess water use, such as when a tap is left running
- If you are really into the numbers, you can export or integrate your water use data into other file formats or your business reporting system.
Become a smart meter customer
We provide smart meters to meet our customer’s needs, property, and location. Request your smart meter online or by calling us on 1300 SA Water (1300 729 283). We will help identify the best smart meter for your needs and send you a quote^.
We will install the meter on your property and you don’t even need to be present, unless the area is within a secured site. We will let you know before we’re due to install the meter and when it’s done.
Having installed the meter we will test the data is transmitting correctly and help you set up your online account so you can view your water use information as well as set up leak alerts and water use reports.
A standard smart meter will generally be installed, tested and your online dashboard set up within 21 days of you paying the invoice.
How to get started
Once you’ve received your welcome email, you’re ready to get started.
Access your online dashboard and get information about your water use, including alerts for potential leaks.
Go to mySmart water - if you are using a taggle smart meter
Go to Customer Water Use Portal - if you're using an IOTA smart meter service
For support in getting started or using your online dashboard, see the relevant guide:
Water use alerts
If you think you have been alerted to a potential leak at your business, you might want to consider our leak analysis service.
If you have identified a potential leak at your home, follow the steps on our Finding leak on your property page.
The first step is to identify where the leak might be. Tell-tale signs include:
- patches of damp soil, paths (brickwork or concrete) or greener than usual lawn/garden beds on your property
- damp, warped or discoloured walls, floorboards or carpets inside your home may indicate a concealed leak
- drips on the side of your hot water system or evaporative air-conditioner, water pooling under the dishwasher or water damage to cupboards may also indicate a problem
- a running toilet cistern – the most common type of leak that can see up to 260 litres of water used per day.
If the smart meter isn't transmitting data
If you are not receiving data, let us know by calling us on 1300 SA WATER (1300 729 283) or online.
Complete the form in a few easy steps.
1. Enter your property address
2. Select ‘Report a fault at this location’
3. When asked where the fault is, select ‘My property’
4. When asked what type of fault it is, select ‘Other meter problem’ and ‘I can’t read my meter’ and let us know it’s related to the smart meter in the ‘Additional information’ section.
With your fault lodged, we will review your information and be in touch. To keep up to date with your enquiry, opt in to receive email or SMS notifications.
Protecting your data
Good to know
^Smart meter requests are subject to application criteria and smart meter services terms and conditions, according to the smart service you’re using – Taggle and mySmartwater or IOTA and Customer Water Use Portal .
All smart meter quotes are provided based on the information provided to us by you at the time of application and are subject to a site check at the time of installation. Any variations required to the smart meter installation due to insufficient or incorrect information provided by you or identified by us will be requoted before installation.
If at the time of installation, we or others engaged by us to perform work on our behalf, identify conditions that will negatively impact the performance of the smart meter, we will cancel the installation and refund you.
We reserve the right to refuse to install smart meters that are in breach of any law or regulation or pose an unacceptable risk to the health and safety of our people performing installation
We're here to help
Please get in touch if you have any questions or need assistance.
You can reach us on 1300 SA WATER (1300 729 283) Monday to Friday 8:30am - 5pm, or send us an email at email@example.com.